While beautiful and certainly festive around the holiday, Easter Lilies (including their pollen) are highly poisonous to cats and will result in serious medical issues.

Exposure to Easter Lilies can result in kidney failure. Seeking immediate medical attention is important for the health of your pet. If you think your cat has ingested and/or been exposed to Easter Lilies, Val and Shannon, two of our Veterinary Technicians, offer their advice on a few things you should be aware of in case of emergency.

Early signs of lily toxicity include vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and decreased appetite. Later, you may notice changes in urination and dehydration.

It is important to act quickly if you notice any of these symptoms, even if you did not witness your cat interact with a lily.

If exposure is suspected or witnessed:

  • Call an animal poison control hotline right away and seek immediate medical attention at an emergency or urgent care facility. We have locations in Quincy, Plymouth and Easton!
  • Please be aware that as more time passes, toxicity can become more lethal, and at times, irreversible.
  • As always, the best form of prevention is avoidance

If you have guest coming over, it is best that they steer clear of Easter Lilies as a gift and bring something people friendly and cat friendly, so you have a safe and happy holiday.