I cannot say enough nice things about Veterinary Urgent Care Center on Quincy Ave. My cat was limping tonight and seemed uncomfortable, but our regular vet was already closed. I…read more →
After treating yet another chocolate ingestion this evening, I’d like to take a moment to remind everyone of some basic Holiday Pet safety.
Common toxins include: chocolate, grapes/raisins, gum (10x more toxic than chocolate). If your pet has been exposed to a toxin, call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or bring him in to our Veterinary Center at 291 Quincy Ave in Quincy, MA.
Turkey – We discussed this in a previous blog post about the dreaded pancreatitis. Don’t share your Christmas ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and/or stuffing with your pet. It can land him in the hospital.
Ornaments and tinsel – ok, let’s be honest. No one should be using tinsel anyway. But if ingested by your cat (or dog) it can cause a linear foreign body obstruction. Linear foreign bodies are no joke, they can cause multiple holes in your pets intestines. To save their life, your veterinarian may need to surgically remove parts of their intestines. That’s as awful and as expensive as it sounds.
For more Holiday Pet Safety tips, check out this list from the American Veterinary Medical Association:
If you think someone else needs to read this, please share!